A CPA degree under your belt throws open a wide avenue of career opportunities
Registering with the AICPA is a little cumbersome and can be broken down into simple steps.
- Understand the credit system.
- Secure the transcripts
- Notice to Schedule and Exams
Understand the credit system.
It is important that you understand the minimum eligibility criteria to appear for the CPA exams. I’ve elucidated the credit system of CPA in a previous answer too.
General rule:The eligibility for CPA certification requires 120 credits. Every year of university education in India is equivalent to 30 semester credits of US education.
Using 1 year = 30 credits,
- B.Com = 3 years x 30 credits = 90 credits
- Exception: If B.Com is cleared in 1st division from a NAAC ‘A’ university, you are entitled to 30 additional credits, thereby increasing the credits to 120.
- Suppose you have only 90 credits (counted as per your graduation) then, you can pursue either M.Com or MBA for attaining the balance credit points.
- Further, a professional qualification like CA/CS/CWA is counted as 2 years of university education, thus adding 60 credits to your bag.
- B.Com + M.Com/MBA = 90/120 credits + 60 credits = 150/180 credits
- B.Com+ CA/CS/CWA = 90/120 credits + 60 credits = 150/180 credits.
Secure the transcripts
The next step is to apply for transcripts from the respective universities.
Transcripts are nothing but documents which help the international educational bodies evaluate your Indian qualifications and assist them in determining the credit points.
You will need to apply for these at the university from where you’ve pursued your graduation. E.g., Delhi University.
For CAs, transcripts can be applied for at ICAI.
Once the transcripts have been received, you can finally apply to the World Education Services to get yourself evaluated. Once this is done, you should receive a confirmation from an American state board within a month.
Now, start taking classes from any of the CPA Reviews. This part is particularly difficult since it will require you to put in hours of study along with your regular jobs.
Notice to Schedule and Exams
Once you’re confident about a paper, you can apply to AICPA for taking that paper. This is known as a Notice to Schedule (NTS) which remains valid for a period of 6 months. Therefore, you can appear for that paper anytime within 6 months of filing your NTS.
The procedure to pursue CPA is more complicated than CA and requires an expert guidance. If you have further questions, please feel free to message or visit Simandhar Education.
To know more about the next career options, you may visit our centers for CPA USA, CMA USA, CFA etc in Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, gurgaon , Hyderabad or visit www.simandhareducation.com and we are also the Channel partner of AICPA( American institute of Certified public accountant -Largest accounting body in the world)